Sunday, July 13, 2008

Sparring will keep illusions away


Just realized that I too suffered from typical martial artist delusion of perceived skills vs actual skills. Worse, I'm not as fast or strong as I think I am! Thanks to Vince and his evolution of training approach emphasizing Aliveness, all my "personal myths" are busted. The myth buster: constant sparring against a moving resisting opponent. That's is the main reason why Boxing, Muay Thai and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (BJJ) are so effective: it's the way they train.

Sparring with a fast ex-national Karateka, Alex and a Muay Thai exponent, Imran showed me just how much I need to brush up on my skills and fitness. The good thing is: the more I spar, the more I improve. Add in intense aliveness drills and core strength workout, we'll have a perfect mix of balance training.nothing beats sparring to develop functional fighting skills.

No comments: